Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's all the same*


Today we had a good day, rain aside it was a good day. Aubrey ate her banana, peach, and raspberry baby food... only babies could like that stuff, I'm glad it's not me :)! Tagen went off to "work" with his dad, he gets an allowance of $5.00 every other week or so for "working" he thinks its 500.00 but boy am I glad he doesn't know that it isn't.. getting him dressed he wanted to fight with me about what he was wearing. I said to bad its raining your not wearing shorts, put these on... from my four year old son, I got " oh momma, your lame." LAME???? seriously... where do these children get these words from.. I'm lame psshhh!! He's lucky he is cute. Although as you see in this picture Aubrey loves her big brother, and likes to do what he does. When he yells she yells, its quite entertaining!
After I dropped him off I went to visit my husbands grandparents, with Aubrey, she loves looking at their fan, they turn it on every time we go there, of course she likes it, its moving, and its not going all over the place its just moving in one spot. Now usually when you say to Aubrey " where is the dog?" she just stares at you, today it was something different, Sam's grandfather said "Aubrey where's the fan?" and wouldn't you know it she looked up at the fan and looked back at him (she did this repeatedly for the rest of the time we were there, when we would ask her where the fan was) I was amazed, my daughter although she has down syndrome, and is going to have some delays, understands what we are saying to her, she really understands I couldn't believe it. I was excited, you would have thought she took her first steps I was so excited. On my way home from their house, I was thinking to myself, lady you must of fallen out of a tree and hit your head, because a child with down syndrome understands what you are saying, there is no "BIG" difference between a child with down syndrome and a "typical" (which I hate that word, can't we find another word for children without any syndromes besides words like typical, and normal?) so in other words, of course she understands, she is a child, yes she has down syndrome but what does that really mean? some delays?? To me children with down syndrome just have 2 words that describe what they have, (not a disease- they aren't looking for a cure, or a medical miracle to rid them of the down syndrome. ) Down syndrome doesn't define the person that these children are going to become, it just lets people know that, hey things might be a longer process with these children. So my thinking today is that, down syndrome or not, it's all the same, they learn the same things maybe a little slower, they can do the same things, treat them the same way, they have the same emotions ( I often get, oh shes so quite, or she never cries she is just happy all the time, well that in a way gets me angry, because shes not so quite when she is playing with her toys, she does cry when she wants something and can't have it.) Children with down syndrome, so live normal lives, and yes their may be some struggles but for the most part its all the same.
If someone came to me and said, you have the chance to go back, and turn back the hands of time, what would you do, most people would think I would say, let me go back and have a "typical" healthy baby, well I wouldn't change anything ( 1 in 800 babies are born with down syndrome, and I was luck enough to have one of the 1s), the fact Aubrey has down syndrome and a heart defect, in these 8 months I have learned more then I ever did in my 13 years of school. I've learned people are there for you, who is really a friend- and who is not, what life is all about, it has opened me up to a new world of people, a new way of looking at things in life, and most of all- appricating everything and everyone I have in my life. *and on another note, Game 4 of the finals, Let's go Celtics!!*

3 comments:

  1. Umm...so I think I have to apologize for the LAME word. Callie and Carter picked it up from Word Girl on PBS. I get the "Mom, you so lame" all the time. SORRY! We will have to get the kids together over the summer so Aubrey and Casey can whoop it up together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got that right, an angel from above.

    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Tracey that's so funny!! well now I know where he got it atleast :) ... and it does sound cute coming out of his mouth!! yes we will definitly get together over the summer- i know tagen is going to miss callie and carter this summer

    ReplyDelete