Friday, June 11, 2010

"kids are so cruel these days"

Many people make the assumption that kids are cruel and nasty now a days, well yeah there might be a slight percent of kids that are just cruel, but there is a reason why they are cruel- I don't think anyone likes to be mean and nasty, something triggers it. I would like to believe that there is a higher percent of children that are nice and care although they have the "I don't care attitude."
The first couple of weeks- it actually could of been the first couple of days after we found out about Aubrey's diagnosis of Down Syndrome, I thought what about kids in school, will they be mean? what will they say? will she ever have boys calling the house? will she ever come to me and say "mom I like this boy, or can you teach me to use makeup", will she ever go to prom, will I get to go with her and buy her a dress, and take pictures and watch her drive off with all her friends in a limo ( although when she is that age, will they still have limos, ha ha, probably not, it will be something more fancy) Will I ever get to see her graduate- and so on and so on. These were and in a way still are some of my questions, and fears I guess you could say.
Today my sister graduated from Methuen High school, and it brought back the memories of me, when I was sitting at my graduation, and even further back, memories of high school in general. I remember the kids in high school with down syndrome where some of the most popular kids in the school, and your "typical" students were best friends with these children. The student body would fight to get into the "best buddies" program so they could spend time with these kids that had a diagnosis. Asides my memories, there was a handful of students in the graduating class tonight that had down syndrome, or another diagnosis, that were dressed in a cap and gown just like the rest of the class, and graduated, and was so proud, when these kids names got called they got a standing applause from their peers, which made me have goosebumps, and it brought me back to reality, and the fact that, SHE WILL have all these things and SHE WILL be able to do all these things just like everyone else.
So it brings me back to "kids are so cruel these days" yes there is a handful of kids that are cruel, but not all of them are, and its wrong to label all kids as cruel. Many kids are aware of special needs and look at these special needs children with respect and are able to say THEY ARE THE SAME AS ME. While some kids are being cruel not all of them are deep down, I think most children that are "cruel" are looking for a way out, they want to escape something in their own lives, and really can't help but be "cruel". Before you use this phrase "kids are so cruel these days", remember that their are many obstacles children now a days needs to overcome, and for the most part these children aren't so cruel!!

3 comments:

  1. Jess i am soo glad you have done this and it is funny how I was just telling jen to night how beautiful Aubrey is and how when I saw u the other day i scratched her back she smiled so big and it just made me love her more. Jess you truely are a wonderful mom and i know with you at the wheel Aubrey will have the best life she could ever have!!!! I am always here for you what ever it is !!! love u all xoxooxoxooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two things to say, I cannot believe that little Gianna is all done with high school, it really ages the two os us, and although I am not a mother I truly enjoy reading your blog, it just has opened my eyes of how life can be different when you least expect it. Aubrey is a beautiful baby girl and I am sure she is just going to get in as much trouble with boys like the two of us did growing up, apple doesn't fall far from the tree right : ). Keep up the good work & being such a great advocate for all mothers. xx Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess I love this blog. Reading this gave me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete